What is Evangelism?
The word “evangelism” comes the Greek Word EVANGELIZOW which means to ” preach the good news”. Evangelism is sharing the good news of Jesus Christ with those who do not yet know or believe in him.
WHO SHOULD EVANGELIZE?
All believes are priests before God. Thus, all believers have the privilege and the responsibility to share the good news of Jesus Christ with those who do not yet know or believe in him.
WHY SHOULD WE EVANGELIZE? The Bible clearly says that whoever does not believe will be condemned to hell ( Mk 16:16). Those who do not know what the Bible says about Jesus cannot believe in him. Those who know about him, but do not trust that he is the only way to heaven do not believe in him. Thus, all people are on the road to hell. Our savior’s command to preach the good news to all creation ( Mk 16:15) and our love for the lost sinners will lead us to share the good news with those who do not know or believe in Jesus.
TYPE OF EVANGELISM
1. DIRECT METHOD. Usually takes the form or a question of statement. Do you ever think about——–? Where do you think you are on spiritual———? If you ever want to know the difference between religion and Christianity just let me know.
2. INDIRECT METHOD. Builds on the direction the conversation is already heading by using the topic discussed as a BRIDGE to a spiritual topic.
2. INVITATIONAL METHOD People Want to be asked. Andrew is an example of invitational evangelism. We to encourage Christians to bring others to Church where they may experience the presence of God.
3. RELATIONSHIP OR FRIENDSHIP EVANGELISM . Friendship with unsaved people is important Demonstrated by Jesus. A biblical example of how Andrew brought his brother Peter to Jesus. John 1:40-42.
4. COMPASSIONATE OR SOCIAL EMPHASIS EVANGELISM This is all about caring for people’s social needs which open the doors for the gospel. Jesus is our example Mark 6:30-44 Jesus had compassion on a hungry and tired crowd. He did not preach to people on an empty stomach but fed the 5,000 people. All churches have a responsibility, to clothe the naked, to feed the hungry, visit the sick and shelter the homeless and the poor. Islam is the fastest growing in the world. All their efforts and attempts to feed and give to the needy are helping them to Spread Islam especially among the poor.
5. STORY TELLING OR TESTIMONIAL EVANGELISM. Stories capture the heart.
6. PIONEER EVANGELISM or CHURCH PLANTING This type of evangelism is done in an area where there are no Churches.
7. ARTS EVANGELISM creativity through arts is a wonderful gift from God. Utilising dance, drama, painting, drawing, music, poetry, miming, puppetry, media and technology.
8. SPORTS EVANGELISM.
9. PARTNERSHIP EVANGELISM.
10. MULTIPLICATION EVANGELISM.
11. PUBLIC EVANGELISM.
12. PERSONAL EVANGELISM is also known as ( a). Door to door visitation or cold canvassing. ( b). Witnessing Acts 1:8. ( c). Reaching.
13.PERSUASION EVANGELISM. WHAT WILL HAPPEN WHEN WE EVANGELIZE? Some will believe and some will reject. But we should not become discouraged. They are not rejecting us, but God.
WHAT CAN WE DO TO HINDER EVANGELISM?
A. We hinder evangelism when we don’t do it.
B. We hinder evangelism when we don’t act like God’s children.
C. We hinder evangelism when we don’t welcome new people into our congregation.
D. We hinder evangelism when there are non doctrinal things about church which people do not like.